The prosperous Tarraco
Tarragona is a city with more than 2000 years of history. Its origins date back to the year 218 BC, when the Roman armies reached the Iberian Peninsula to fight against the Carthaginians in the Second Punic War.
This city became the capital of Hispania Citerior province and of the Tarraconensis province years later. The circus, the theatre and the amphitheatre of that period still stand, and they are all examples of the city’s importance during the Roman Empire. After various incursions by Franks, Germanics and Visigoths in the year 713 AD, the Muslims conquered the city and incorporated it to the Al-Andalus. Since then, Tarragona suffered centuries of depopulation and decadence, until Ramon Berenguer the Third occupied it in the 12th century. It suffered one last great blow with the Spanish War of Independence of 1811, but then its recovery has been unstoppable.
Tarragona is today a prosperous city with a great Roman legacy, declared a World Heritage by UNESCO in 2000. We suggest you to visit it!
|The neighbours recommend
EDEN DE TAPAS
Restaurant J & J
|Places of Interest
In the past, the Barcelona’s slaughter house stood where today the Joan Miró is. It occupied an area equal to four blocks of the Eixample. The park was inaugurated in 1983 and within it the Dona i Ocell sculpture stands, it is 22 meter- high and it is made out of concrete and ceramic. It was designed by the famous painter and sculptor Joan Miró, to whom the park is dedicated. Inside, there is also one of the city’s rain-water reservoirs which can be visited calling previously the following number 932 914 122. In Espanya square, there is the old bullfight ring of Las Arenas, which was built in the neo-Mudéjar style and it was inaugurated in 1900. In 1977 it saw its last bullfight. The building has been refurbished, preserving its historic façade and it became a large shopping and leisure mall.
JOAN MIRÓ PARK
CENTRE CÍVIC CASINET D’HOSTAFRANCS